Austin, TEXAS – Nov. 7, 2018 – Convey, Inc., the leading provider of delivery experience management software, today announced the results of its third annual consumer expectations study confirming the rising cost of a failed delivery experience.
Of more than 1,500 shoppers surveyed, 98% confirm that shipping impacts brand loyalty and 84% report they are unlikely to return after just one negative experience—a 34% percent increase from 2017.
“Delivery expectations have clearly increased year-over-year as Amazon continues to raise the bar and customers take the bait,” said Kirsten Newbold-Knipp, chief marketing officer at Convey. “Today, simply tracking a package isn’t enough. Retailers and brands that want to thrive need to invest in people, processes and tools that positively impact last mile delivery and customer loyalty.”
The way a retailer responds to a negative situation can have a positive impact on repeat purchases. Consumers who cite previous delivery experiences as a key factor in their retailer selection are 60% more likely to return to a brand that has positively resolved a prior issue.
Other survey findings include:
Cost is Top of Mind
- 62% cite cost as the most important factor in delivery
Retailers Must Own Up to Delivery Delays
- 87% expect brands to make amends when they miss a delivery date
- 52% expect a refund or discount on shipping costs
Scheduling and Routing Options are Critical
- 55% need to reschedule appointment windows at least 20% of the time
- 70% expect to be able to make some kind of routing change, whether to a new address, terminal or pick up locker, a 41% increase from 2017
Customers Prefer Private Channels for Negative Feedback
- 98% want to self-serve or interact with a brand to resolve delivery issues
- 89% want to provide feedback when they have a negative delivery experience
- 42% cite email as their preferred channel for feedback, whereas 28% prefer customer service lines
Convey helps global retailers including Jet.com, Eddie Bauer and Grove Collaborative manage more than 10 million shipments monthly, resulting in 4X faster issue resolution, and a 22% reduction in delivery times.
To learn more about how today’s consumer expectations factor into the delivery experience, download “Last Mile Delivery: What Shoppers Want and How to #SaveRetail” here: https://go.getconvey.com/save-retail.
With delivery expectations skyrocketing, brands cannot leave the critical last mile to chance. Convey’s Delivery Experience Management platform combines real-time visibility, post-purchase experiences, and advanced insights and analytics to create a solution uniquely capable of perfecting last mile delivery. Supply chain and customer experience leaders including Neiman Marcus, Jet.com and Eddie Bauer rely on Convey’s software and expertise to take action to ensure shoppers get their orders how and when they want, resulting in happier, loyal customers and a lower cost to serve. Founded in 2013, Convey is backed by Silverton Partners, Techstars Venture Group, RPM Ventures and based in Austin, Texas. Learn more about Convey at: www.getconvey.com.